BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, June 05, 2018

I Fail at Socks

In April, Marly Bird had another Knit-A-Long (KAL) and I was all excited. She's super good at teaching knitting and I'd been interested in learning how to make socks. And how hard can it be, right?

Well, for me, incredibly difficult.

The cast-on technique was easy enough and I started knitting my first row around the double pointed needles (DPN). Only when I reached the end of the row, I'd somehow ended up with a huge gap. I assumed that some stitches fell off the needles and I took everything apart and cast-on again. And yet again, everything looked right, but when I reached the end of the row, there was a gap. This one was smaller, but still a problem.

When I tried for the fourth time (Fourth time's the charm, right?) I made it around the row and it stayed the way it was supposed to. Hurrah!

Only I celebrated too early.

As I finished knitting row 2, I spotted a gap. I might have cursed. Profusely. I had no idea what I was doing wrong, but I ripped it out and cast-on again. And again. And again.

I'm not sure what I'm doing that gives me a gap when there's none in my cast-on, but apparently if I ever want to make socks, I better learn the magic loop method.