BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, October 25, 2018

Advent Knitting

One of the designers for knit projects that I really like does an advent knitting shawl. I was going to say every year, but I don't know if that's true. I can say she's done it every year that I've knitted which is basically Christmas 2017 and 2018. :-) I didn't participate last year, but I didn't know things like this existed until it was too late for the coolest part of the entire thing. Mystery yarn!

I have a thing for Mystery Knit-A-Longs (MKAL) and this is a bigger mystery than most. Or it can be depending on whose yarn one purchases.

Most MKALs have a pattern that's revealed clue by clue. The advent MKAL will have 25 clues as we count down to Christmas. This MKAL also has some yarn companies who don't reveal what their yarn will look like either. The company I bought my yarn from showed an inspiration board to give an idea of the shades of yarn the buyer would receive, but didn't show the actual yarn or colors.

Normally, I like to know what the yarn color is going to be, but I find this double mystery intriguing. Each mini skein of yarn is individually wrapped and numbered and I'll unwrap that day's yarn along with the clue. I am intrigued.

The vision board that I liked had rich purples, golds, and oranges in the pictures. It's different from my usual bright, in-your-face colors which are my usual preference and I think it's good to get outside my comfort zone now and then and try something new. These will definitely be new colors for me--very fall-like.

My one concern is that I won't be able to keep up with the other knitters. I have such a small amount of time to actually knit and December is a hectic month anyway, but I plan to put aside any other knitting projects I might be working on and focus solely on this for the month.

I hope it's as fun as it sounds!