BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Favorite Season

I can't tell you how many people tell me that fall is their favorite season of the year. I'm not sure why they volunteer this information to me because it's not a question I can ever remember asking someone, but they do and it's always autumn.

No offense to the fans of fall out there, but I don't get it. The leaves are falling off the trees, leaving them looking bare and dead. I have to put on a jacket, which I hate and wear long sleeve shirts again. Another apparel item I hate. And it's back to socks. My feeling for socks is beyond hate and deep into loathing territory. Also, winter follows fall and I loathe winter more than socks. :-)

My favorite season is summer and it always has been. It was summer when I lived in Minnesota and it's still summer even after living in Georgia for nearly 7 years. Maybe it's because of all the years I spent in MN, but I don't mind the heat and humidity. That's what air conditioning is for.

I can even name a specific part of summer that I love. June. Why? Because we're around summer solstice and the most available daylight.

If I had to pick a second favorite season, it would be spring because things are greening up and the bare trees are getting buds. It also means that summer is coming and there are no words for how much I love summer weather.

In my hierarchy, fall is a distant third with winter dead last. Even winter in Atlanta is too cold for me. I just don't like cold. I would get crabby in Minnesota by Halloween because of the weather.

It's too bad that southern California is so crowded and expensive because that year-round great weather would be perfect for me!