BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, October 18, 2018

The Ugly Window

The window in my master bathroom is literally the ugliest window I've ever seen. For some reason, it's not trimmed out--it only has a sill--and there are no blinds to hide anything. Since the window is frosted, it doesn't need them. I've been trying to figure out what to do about that eyesore for a while now. I'm not a huge fan of curtains in the bathroom.


My house in Minnesota had a similar window in the master bath, but the builder finished it much more nicely than this current one is finished. Smooth and sleek versus sloppy work. The MN window was also trimmed out on all four sides. I had no one in back of me, so I simply went with a window cling that covered the entire glass. I liked that a lot, but it won't solve the problem here because of the sloppy work.



Although I'm still open to ideas, I've kind of narrowed it down to two options: A curtain valance or a box valance.

A curtain valance would probably be the easiest option. Again, though, cloth in the bathroom. :-(

The box valance sounds better to me, but the ones I like also have cloth, so I can't seem to get away from that.

Option 2 brings up the do I make it myself or buy one problem. I've found all kinds of instructions online on how to make your own and they are lovely. But I'd have to buy the wood, a glue gun, the mounting hardware, the cloth, and other items in order to do this. Or I could buy one for under $200, mounting hardware included. Probably less than I would spend to make my own.

The cloth pattern options are okay for the one I'd buy, but not necessarily what I would pick.

Making my own, though, leads to my perfectionist problem. I'd have to make a number of them to get one that's good enough for me to put up and that makes the DIY option even more expensive.

And so I sit locked, unable to decide what to do. Sigh.