BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, November 01, 2018

The Dress Shirt Saga

My dad hasn't attended many dress up occasions since moving to Georgia, but with one looming on the horizon, he discovered he couldn't button the necks on his existing dress shirts. He'd need to buy a new one.

We went to a store's website and I found him exactly what he wanted--a short-sleeved, button-down shirt in white. It was $29.99 and he was all like I've never spent that much money for a shirt. And so he wouldn't buy it. We found another shirt that was on clearance for $17.77 and he decided he wanted that one.

Only when it arrives, they sent a long-sleeve version (which we definitely didn't order. I double checked) and it had no collar at all. In our defense, it was impossible to see that on the website and I only saw that was indeed what we ordered when I blew the picture up to a huge size.

Now we have to make a trip up to the store to return it and my dad has to pick out a shirt he likes in person. While I'm on a tight deadline. Awesome.

I left him in the men's department and went to grab a couple of other things I needed while we were there. When I come back, he's complaining that they have no button-down shirts in his size in either long sleeve or short sleeve and now we have to go to another store. Gah! But as we're headed for the registers, I spot a rack of button-down long sleeve dress shirts and all was right in the world.

And then I washed the shirt for him.

It came out of the dryer wrinkled even though it was immediately taken out and hung up. It's cotton. Cotton wrinkles. Now it needs to be ironed.

The good thing is that my mom stopped ironing my dad's shirts when I was in high school and he had to learn to iron his own then. Thank you, Mom! The bad news is that he hasn't had to iron a shirt since he moved to Atlanta and now he's asking me questions. I'm like, I don't buy clothes that need to be ironed. Don't ask me. For real. I've put shirts back that I love because I will not iron.

He's just lucky I own an iron. And the only reason I do is that I bought curtains for my house and needed to iron them before I could put them up. Otherwise we'd be shopping for an iron now, too. I hope we can find the iron because we've moved since I bought it and I can only guess that it's upstairs. Somewhere.