BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, January 03, 2019

The Work From Home Blues

I work from home one day a week. I'm very grateful that my company/department allows me to do this because 1) gas and 2) I hate driving in Atlanta so much. I normally work from home the same day each week barring appointments and my coworkers know this. I also try to handle anything that might crop up the day before so that nothing explodes while I work from home.

However, pretty much every week on the day I'm working from home, at least one of my guys blows up my 1) email 2) instant messenger 3) phone 4) all of the above. Almost every week. For real.


It happened again this past Wednesday.

This was a week I had a doctor's appointment. As I'm sitting in the waiting room, my cell rings. I look at caller ID and it's one of my guys so I answered. He didn't ask me how to renew his airport badge, didn't follow the process, and needed me to approve his request so that he could get his package. I'm like, dude, I'm at the doctor's office. I can't do anything until I get home.

And the thing is that I had been reminding him about this badge renewal for SIX WEEKS! Why did it blow up on a work from home day? Because it always does. He's lucky that he's super sweet and I like him a lot. :-)

When I say something like this happens almost every week, it's not an exaggeration and I don't get these kinds of things happening regularly when I'm in the office. It's not as if email, IM, phone is substituting for them running to my cube. It's rare to have someone stop by with an emergency. But let me work from home? Yeah, Rome is burning that day.