BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, April 25, 2019

Sleeve Fail

I had so much trouble knitting the sleeve of my first sweater that I ended up with a noticeable line where I picked up stitches. :-( Apparently I twisted my yarn. I didn't think I had, but I had so much trouble with this that it's entirely possible. This means the sleeve has to be ripped back and I have to start that over again. Just the sleeve, thank goodness!


But after being so excited to be this close to finishing my first sweater, this took the wind out of my sails. I simply didn't have the heart to start over, not immediately.

Trying to decide what to work on next was difficult. I have all my little project kits put together, but they weren't really grabbing me, and the projects I was interested in didn't have the skeins wound into cakes and I didn't feel like dragging out the swift and the winder, so bleh!

Finally, I decided on a shawl. It was heavier weight yarn, so it should knit more quickly than the usual fingering weight shawls I've knit. Cast on 250 stitches. Gah!

When I'm casting on this number, I always misjudge and end up with either a super long tail or I run short and have to start all over again. This time was a super long tail. I decided to live with that and not start over. I knit my setup rows on a 7mm needle then I was supposed to switch to 7.5mm.

It never occurred to me that I didn't have 7.5mm needles. After all, I have a set of interchangeables and all the sizes should be there, right? Um, yeah, no.

I tried knitting on 8mm, but the end result didn't look good. I ordered a set of 7.5mm needles (not interchangeable, but fixed to the cord). This was a different brand than my usual needles, and when it arrived, I figured I'd have to work to uncurl the cord, but I didn't. It immediately uncurled! OMG! Revelation. I have my interchangeable cords hanging in my office because I don't want to put them away and then have to uncurl them again. What a pain!

But there's a brand of needles that doesn't do this!

Seriously, I think I'm going to have to buy a new set of interchangeable needles from this new brand. Imagine being able to put cords away when I'm not using them! Wow!