BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Word of 2019

I usually try to pick a word of the year. It's something to remind me of my goals and what I hope to accomplish. For 2019 my word is Sustain. As in sustain all the good habits I've been working to build over the past year or two.

While it's all well and good to choose a word, remembering what that word is so that I can use it to encourage and inspire myself is another issue. I've tried writing it in my planner, but once I'm past that section, I rarely go backward. I've tried writing it on a Post-it note, but that doesn't seem to work real well for me either. This year, I had an epiphany. My Silhouette Cameo cuts vinyl. I decided to cut my word out of temporary vinyl and put it on my wall. Right in the middle of my kanban board.





It was amazingly easy to do and I'm so happy with the result. Now my word is in my face every time I walk out of my office. Just like my kanban board with its tasks.

I used washi tape to outline my kanban board sections, but the lines are crooked. I'm toying with the idea now of cutting my lines out of vinyl, too. With transfer tape, I'd have a better chance of creating nice, straight lines. I think.

The only thing stopping me is the location of my cutting machine isn't conducive to using those big long rolls of vinyl. Well, and maybe the fact that I'm a little bit nervous that I'd mess up anyway.

Maybe I'll use a ruler and replace my washi tape with more washi.