BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, October 17, 2019

Memory Lane

My dad is writing his memoirs, and while he takes a trip down memory lane, he's taking me along with him. Most of what he brings up, I already remember, but there are things that he mentions that brings back my memories of when I was a kid.

For example, he mentioned Camp Christmas Tree. He thought our family had gone camping there. (Ha! Our family only camped a couple of times in my entire life.) I said no, I went to camp there. He then guessed it was a Girl Scout camp. It wasn't. I had to explain to him that it was a day camp and that I went there every day for two weeks (I think it was two weeks). He or Mom would take me to the bus, they'd bring us to camp, and at the end of the day, the bus would bring us back.

I hadn't thought of this place in years, not since I stumbled across the rubberized camp bag I had from when I went there. I think I saw it in 2013 when I was packing up my house to move from Minnesota.

Camp wasn't a lot of fun. I'm a shy introvert and I was even quieter as a kid then I am now. I also wasn't particularly coordinated at sports and this combination didn't help me fit in with the other kids. I remember being picked on, I remember singing songs on the bus, and I know I'm grateful my parents only sent me there once. :-) (I'm sure other kids had a great time there. I didn't.)

There have been other things he's brought up where I had to correct him or remind him of details he'd forgotten. It's amazing how clearly some of these memories come back once he brings them up.

It also makes me twice as sad that I threw my calendars away when I moved from Minnesota. My dad is going back in time by pulling out all his pocket calendars. I had wall calendars filled with what I did and with who. Had being the operative word. Now I only have my planners from the past four years, and without the prompts, that's a ton of my memories gone forever.