BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Home Office Hell

Can someone please explain to me why I can't keep my home office neat and tidy? I am over-the-top about keeping the rest of the house clutter-free, but I can't manage my office, not even a little bit. It's discouraging.

The picture to the left is how I'd like my office to look, not how it actually looks now.

Recently, I cleaned off the entire desktop. I didn't get the rest of the office done because it took all day for the desk, but hey, it was progress! Today, as I sit here, it's cluttered again. To my left, I have a notebook that I'm not  currently writing in (why isn't it put away!), a book I pulled off the shelves for research (maybe still need it, but I could put it back and grab it again if I need it), information about a master's degree (I don't have time to go back to school), a bill, and a skein of yarn.

To my right, I have a receipt, an enamel pin, three pens and a highlighter, a little container that would be perfect for pushpins, but holds nothing at the moment (it came as a container for something else I bought), and notes for the book I'm working on.

I have the drawer on the right pulled out and my planner rests there along with three headsets--one for the cordless phone, for my laptop (for Dragon or when I did audio blog posts), and one for music. This makes everything in the drawer inaccessible without moving all this crap.

Part of my challenge with the desktop is that I have a Silhouette Cameo 3 cutting machine--I use it to make stickers and cut vinyl, things like that). That's on the right side of my desk and it's huge! It takes up a lot of space. On the left side, I have a scanner. Not a flatbed, so it doesn't take up too much real estate, but it is one more thing. Do I use these things all the time? No, but if I put them away, I'll never use them and I like having them handy when I need them.

The rest of the office? Forget about it!

I don't understand why I can be so OCD in the rest of the house and so lackadaisical in the space where I'm trying to write. When it gets too messy, I can't even focus. Before I did the desktop clean up, I had to take the laptop to my bedroom to work, so clearly this is something I need to get on top of.

Too bad I don't know how.