BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

What Happens in Yarn Club...

Back at the beginning of the year, I saw a post from a yarn dyer about their yarn club. Every month I'd get a skein of yarn in a colorway inspired by some geeky/nerdy pop culture thing.

This intrigued me. First, the theme of the yarn club sounded awesome. Second, I kind of go for the same colors of yarn all the time, and since I didn't get to pick what shade was headed my way, it gave me an opportunity to branch out. And third, I selected the option to alternate between fingering and DK weight because (like with color) I tend to buy a ton of fingering weight yarn and have very little of anything else. This should be fun!

And it sort of was fun at the beginning. Every month the mystery skein of yarn arrived. But...

But I hadn't heard of most of the geeky pop culture that were used for inspiration, and the few I did recognize, well, the colors didn't seem to fit in my mind. This took some of the fun out of it for me. And the yarn started accumulating. I guess I could have knit socks or hats with one skein, maybe a small shawl or scarf, but one skein is limiting, and because I didn't love the colorways, I didn't want to order more of the same.

Finally, I decided I had to cancel this yarn club. I still like it in theory as a way to branch out, but in practice, it didn't work for me. Maybe a different yarn club would be a better fit, but I'm in no hurry to find out.