BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, December 03, 2019

Crossword Puzzles

***I received no compensation of any kind for this post and paid for my subscription to this app on my own.***

I love the New York Times crossword puzzles. My parents used to get the Minneapolis Star Tribune and my dad would save the New York Times Sunday puzzles for me. If I was over at their house and had time to kill, I would grab the weekday paper and work on that puzzle as well.

But then I moved to Atlanta and my dad stopped saving the puzzles for me.

When I got my new iPad, one of the apps I checked out was for the NYT crosswords puzzles. I started out with the free trial and remembered why I enjoy the puzzles so much. I'm a word geek!

What's nice about the app is that you can turn on auto-check and make sure your answer is correct as you fill it in. There's also access to the archives and a plethora of old puzzles that I missed. As I've regained some of my skill, I stopped using auto-check on Mondays through Wednesdays. (The NYT puzzles go from easy (Monday) to challenging (Saturday) with Sundays sort of challenging.

The Sunday puzzles are normally themed and I find my success has a lot to do with the theme. Can I figure it out quickly? If so, good day for puzzling. Do I know the topic of the theme? If not, harder day for puzzling. Despite this, Sunday puzzles are my favorites. I like themes and the size.

The app also keeps track of stats. How long did it take me to solve the puzzle, did I use auto-check, what is my average time for Monday puzzles, things like this. I'm not much of a stats person, and I frequently get interrupted working on a puzzle, so the times are never particularly accurate, but it's nice to have that there if you want it.

Anyway, if you like crossword puzzles, I highly recommend the New York Times crossword puzzle app. It's very functional, easy to use, and it's better than paper!