BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, December 05, 2019

Throwback Thursday: Eternal Nights

When I wrote Ravyn's Flight, it was a stand alone book and I had no plans to write anything else in that world. I know--everyone loves a series--but I had so many other ideas I wanted to work on.

But a funny thing happened after RF was released--readers contacted me and wanted more in this world. They also wanted more of Stacey and Alex, the secondary romance in RF. I thought about making them the main h/h in book 2, but there wasn't enough there for a story. In all honesty, I don't even remember how or when Wyatt and Kendall showed up, but they did and Eternal Nights was born. Well, sort of.

Wyatt (of course) is the captain of a Special Ops team. His heroine is also a captain. She joined the Army in order to afford college. Her goal is to be an archaeologist and she is fascinated by the alien artifacts on Jarved Nine. More than fascinated. She wants to study them, so when she finds out someone is looting the Old City and selling the alien relics on Earth, she's incensed and determined to stop it.

I love friends to lovers romances, so I was excited to be able to write one. I'm also a fan of reincarnation romances, but there wasn't instant love for Kendall and Wyatt. In fact, Kendall abhors the idea of "soul mates" and Wyatt knows she'll run if she realizes they've been lovers in other lives.

The other thing that interested me about this book was Wyatt's team. They're loyal and I'd like to write stories for all of them. Some day. I did write a novella with Troll called The Troll Bridge because I was invited to submit to an anthology collection, but as I wrote it, I realized there was a full-length book here. Because of other deadlines and other projects, I never expanded Troll and Lia's story, but I want to. Some day.

Anyway, even though I didn't have plans to write more stories on Jarved Nine, I'm glad I had the opportunity to revisit the planet and the characters. I wish I was a faster writer. There are so many stories I want to write and so little time to actually sit down and work.