BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, January 23, 2020

Throwback Thursday: Edge of Dawn

Continuing Throwback Thursdays for the entire Light Warrior series. Next week, I'll get to the fourth and final published story, the one that had an actual request for me to talk about. In the Darkest Night, one of my personal favorites.

This week, though, is the third book in the Light Warriors series, Edge of Dawn. It was released in 2008 and I think enough years have passed that I can finally say in public that this cover is the least favorite of my covers. Um, yeah.

The story itself, well, I think of this as my medical book. About the time it was scheduled to be released, I had a health scare, and when I found out I didn't have cancer (thank you, God!), I cried in the parking lot of the clinic, I was so relieved.

Also while I was actually writing the book, my dad was diagnosed with cancer. He had a tumor the size of an orange on his kidney and had to have it removed. I remember writing at home when he called and asked me to drive him to urgent care. I remember being sent from urgent care to the hospital for tests. It was late enough at night that it was just my mom and I sitting, waiting to hear the results. I remember trying to write in my dad's hospital room while he recovered from surgery and not succeeding. I know some authors lose themselves in writing to forget about what's going on in their lives, but I couldn't do it.

His recovery took a while, and my mom had stopped driving years earlier, so I had to take them everywhere they needed to go. It was a tough stretch, but I still got this book in on time. Looking back on it all, I'm not sure how I did it. (FYI, my dad sees a kidney doctor once a year, but everything is still looking good!)

So anyway, Shona Blackwood is the heroine of the book and her hero is Logan Andrews. Shona is a Gineal who doesn't realize what she is--her parents were stripped of their powers and had their memories erased (In Twilight's Shadow covers the hows and whys)--but she is being pursued by darksiders. Logan Andrews is a troubleshooter sent to protect her, but he's not allowed to reveal the existence of the Gineal or magic.

Shona's lack of creativity (she's an artist) and how she feels about it was taken directly from how I felt during my period of burn out that I experienced while working on Twilight's Shadow. When I read comments about how her reaction didn't seem realistic, I just laughed. I'd been there, done that and it was completely realistic.

Logan is into restoring classic cars and has no interest in art. Shona has no interest in cars. But they make it work to be a couple, which I appreciated.

My favorite scene in this book is the epilogue where Shona and Creed meet for the first time.