BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Yes, Another Planner Post

I know, but it's January. Indulge me as I geek out about planners and organization.

***I received no compensation of any kind***

My planner of choice is called STARTplanner. They come in daily or weekly, spiral or casebound, and with different styles in the cover. I actually use a weekly casebound at work because it gives me an overview of my week and I don't use any stickers in my work planner.

At home, though, I use a daily planner. I did try weeklies at home and they sat, unused. When someone posted in a writers' group I'm in and mentioned the STARTplanner, I checked it out and was intrigued. IIRC, at that time they only had the daily planner in spiral. I bought a midyear planner because at that point in time, I wasn't organized enough to get myself started in January. I thought that this planner would end up sitting like my weekly planners had, but that's not what happened.

The daily planner was like an epiphany for me! I used it like crazy. For once, everything about planning made sense!

I'd tried a bazillion weekly planners and none of them had worked for me. Here was my planner peace. Mostly.

STARTplanner has a lot of pluses. I don't have to use separate stickers to keep track of water or vitamins. There's a box on each day for what they call meal planning, but I use it after the fact to record what we had for dinner that night. There's another box that's supposed to be for quotes or whatever, but I use it to record my workouts.

I don't love everything, though. My biggest annoyance is that Saturday and Sunday share a page.


Seriously, these are the two days I need a full page for the most!

I understand that space is limited, but the 2020 version has a major annoyance. There are a whole bunch of perforated "list" pages at the front of each month. One for each week. This replaced the weekly grocery list that used to take up HALF of the weekend page. For real.

First of all, there wasn't nearly enough room to write down all the groceries anyone would need to buy in a week. Secondly, who takes their planner grocery shopping? This is a year's worth of spiral-bound pages and it's not light. Besides the grocery stores have their own apps, and if I make my list in those, the store will tell me the exact location of every item I need to buy. This is so much more efficient than dragging my planner to the store.

So those list pages at the beginning of each month would work better as full weekend days. I believe there are enough of them to do it without adding pages. My personal theory is one of the company's founders likes her grocery list inside her planner and that's why we can't get rid of these worthless pages, but that's just my theory. Now these "list" pages are an annoyance I have to page through to get from my monthly overview to the individual days. I'm probably going to take all of them out of the planner and toss them.

This is literally the only thing I don't love about this planner. It's almost perfect for ME and the way I use it. I did try their ringed binder system because that one does have full weekend days, but I could only fit two months in at a time and that drove me insane. I wanted my whole year in one place, not divided between multiple locations.

Um, I guess I feel pretty strongly about this. Sorry!

Anyway, I live with the annoyances because this is by far the planner that works best for me. I just wish they could print a version for me, just the way I want it, and give me complete planner peace.