BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, January 07, 2020

Weather Tracking

In the world of knitting, there's a project called a Temperature Shawl (or blanket or scarf). The idea is to designate every 10 degree span a different color, keep track of the temperature on each day of the year, and knit the corresponding color for that high temp. I'd been thinking about this for a while and decided 2019 would be the year.

I found a spreadsheet online, but I knew I'd forget to enter the highs in there. What I needed was a sticker for my planner. I bought one on Etsy that I could print and cut myself (I have a machine to cut stickers and other things) and printed enough for every day of the year. Then I decided that since I was keeping track of the high and low temperatures, I might as well keep track of whether or not it rained, was sunny, windy, etc. I bought printable weather icons and made those for the year.

I was right to do it this way because I did forget many, many times to open the spreadsheet and record the highs. But it also got tedious and helped swell the thickness of my planner. I mean, I had a ton of stickers in there already, the last thing I needed was more.

As 2019 drew to a close, I tried to decide whether or not to keep track of the weather for 2020, too. I ultimately decided not to do it. I hadn't even started the first temperature shawl--I didn't need two. And now, as we're about a week into the new year, I'm so glad I'm not doing this again. It feels so freeing to not record the weather.

I put my extra stickers away. I'm free, free, free!