BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, January 02, 2020

Word of the Year

Every year I pick a word and try to make that a guide for my planning. In 2019, the word was Sustain as in sustain all the good habits I'd built in 2018.

I wasn't entirely successful, but 2019 involved some medical challenges. As it turned out, they weren't serious, but it took a lot of tests and doctors' appointments to reach that conclusion.

One of the symptoms I dealt with was heavy fatigue, and instead of writing when I got home from work, I'd sit down and fall asleep. This started happening in early spring--maybe March or April--and I just assumed it was the hours I work. It wasn't. Now that I'm taking medication, I'm still tired when I get home, but I'm not usually falling asleep in my chair.


Because of all this, I was thinking of using Resume as my word for 2020. Resume the good habits. Resume writing. In fact, I was so sure that this was my word, I was ready to create it in vinyl to put up on my office wall. And then I saw other authors talking about their words of the year and Resume seemed pretty lame. I started to think about this some more.

That led me to come up with Create. Immediately, I rejected that. Create? How cliche was that? I needed to bore down deeper, find a better, more unique word for 2020.

Then I started thinking about it a little more. Create might be an expected word, but it's nuanced, it can have multiple facets.

Create stories. Create a peaceful life. Create a schedule that smooths out my stress. Well, as much as possible at least.

There are a couple of other options that are even less exciting than these two, like Core. Work on the core three things that are most important to me. Why is this so hard?

I'm still undecided, though. Create is pretty trite. Resume is pretty boring. It's already 2020 and I have no word!

And if you're laughing over my anxiety at being at a loss for my 2020 word, you're probably right to do so. What a silly thing to get all stressed out over, right? A lot of people go through their year without having a word, and until a few years ago (5 maybe?), I went through my year without a word. I need to stop overthinking this and either go without a word or pick one of these two and call it good.

ETA: I went with: CORE 3. Which means focus on the top 3 things I need to work on and let everything else fall where it will.