BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, December 01, 2020

Hats, Hats, Hats!

For a stretch this past winter, I was on a hat-making kick. I made hat after hat, after hat.

What I like about knitting hats is they're relatively quick and the patterns I chose were easy. The hat to the left was a gift--a kit with yarn, pattern, and needles. This was my first time doing a pom pom and I didn't realize the original yarn would tear when I tried to tie it off. If I'd known, I'd have tied it off with a different yarn.

The pom pom on the hat was made from scrap yarn left over from another project because there was no saving the yarn I messed up.

I think the pattern turned out cute! I like how it spirals upward. The pattern wanted the stitches worked flat and sewn together afterward to make the hat, but I knit in the round instead. Easier, quicker, and it makes more sense. It took a little tinkering with the pattern, but it was pretty simple to figure out.


There's a close up of my pom pom. I did trim it to try to make it even, but you can see I still have a few issues going on.

I also made some hats for gifts.



And one last hat. This one can be worn as a slouchy hat or almost like a beret although it's not the same shape or style as a beret.