BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, September 01, 2020

New Skill

I taught myself a new knitting skill recently! It's called double knitting. It allows me to knit two fabrics at the same time on the same set of needles. The fabrics are connected in a kind of tube and I guess there are all kinds of things you can do with it, but I simply wanted the basics so I could knit a 10"x10" square.

You see, there's this thing called a Geek-A-Long. I spotted it last year, but double knitting totally intimidated me, but I was intrigued. This time when I stumbled across it again, I was like, okay, let's see if I can learn this.

I did!

It's actually surprisingly easy--at least for what I'm doing with it. I know that's just skimming the surface because I've seen a four hour class out there that I'd like to do in order to learn more nuances.

Anyway, the idea of the Geek-A-Long (GAL) is so cool. Different ten inch squares are knitted with patterns on them that represent a different geekdom. This has been going on for years, so I'm going to pick and choose squares I like rather than simply doing one year's squares. at the end of the year, the squares can be stitched together to make a blanket.

The one thing about double knitting, though, that I'm less than enamored with is how slowly the knitting goes. It's knit-purl-knit-purl across the entire square. Over and over. And over. But pattern!

I'm thirteen rows into my first square and have just started the pattern, but I'm excited. There are so many cool squares waiting for me, including Princess Bride and Indiana Jones! So which square did I decide to start with?

The caffeine molecule. Anyone who's been following me for a while will not be surprised by this.