BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Google Drive Oops

I can't remember what I was doing online, but somehow saw a download Google Drive to your computer option. That's cool, I thought. I'll do that.

The download and install went fine, but then Google Drive decided it was going to back up my entire computer. Something I didn't realize until I got the "you've used up all your free space" message.

I didn't want Google to backup anything. I already have two programs that are backing up to the cloud and a third is overkill. If I had been presented with any kind of option after it installed, I would have said, NO! DO NOT BACKUP MY LAPTOP!

Looking on Google Drive on my laptop only showed two files that I'd created. Nothing else. Where were all my files that were clogging up things?

I started to Google online, looking for help. It was ridiculously difficult to find. I tried so many different search terms, it was crazy.

At one point, I believed I had the problem solved and started deleting files off of Google Drive only to discover that it was SYNCING with my laptop and deleting the file off my hard drive, too. WTF, Google?!?

Finally, FINALLY, I found instructions on how to break the connection between my laptop and the Google Drive. They should never have been this hard to find, BTW. Once I did this, my laptop stopped overheating and the fan stopped blowing at 100 mph. Two problems solved.

Problem three is still looming, though. Somehow, I have to get the files I deleted on Google Drive back onto my laptop.

I have the files in the trash on Google Drive and I have two online backups, so I'm confident I can restore everything, it's just going to take some time and probably be a major pain. Grrr.