BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, November 19, 2020

Review: The Umbrella Academy - Season 2

It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of The Umbrella Academy. For a long stretch, it was the only reason I kept my Netflix subscription. I almost gave up a few episodes in to Season 1, but I'm glad I kept watching. It ended up being my favorite show.

Season 2 had a lot to live up to. 

***WARNING: There might be SPOILERS ahead***

At the end of Season 1, Five was taking the rest of the Umbrella Academy back in time. He glitched a little and they end up in the 1960s. In Dallas. And when Five arrives, it's another apocalypse. He has to go back in time to stop the USSR and USA from going nukes with each other. And he has to find his errant siblings who have been running amok in the 1960s.

First of all, I hated Vanya in the first season. I thought she was Too Stupid To Live (TSTL) and I didn't think there was any way imaginable that the writers could redeem her for me. I stand corrected. They pulled it off. By a few episodes in, I did like Vanya. Who'd have thought it?

Klaus is still all that is awesome. He's my favorite character and I know I'm not alone on this. In Season 2, he is mostly sober, still making questionable decisions despite Ben's input, and a cult leader. I wish I could have seen how that happened.

Five is still Five. The actor who plays him does a tremendous job. He's goal-oriented and the rest of the Academy is off on their own tangents. He's trying to herd cats.

A lot of new questions arise in this season. LOTS of new questions. Episode 10, the final of the season, leaves us with a cliffhanger that's extra frustrating since we're going to have to wait forever for Season 3. FOREVER! It's really too bad Netflix didn't tell them to film two seasons back to back, so that we could avoid this long wait for more.

Seriously, this is my favorite show on television and (for once) I'm not alone on this one. Usually, I only fall in love with shows that get canceled. (Limitless, the series, anyone?) I would love to get my hands on the series bible for this show.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up!