BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, December 10, 2020

The Index Cards Arrive

 

Because I am hopelessly obsessive, I ordered 1000 index cards. Okay, they were also cheaper per card in bulk, but that's obsessive in its own special way.

While waiting for my index cards, I'd done a little online searching, reading how screenwriters use index cards. They were all over the map, but I took what I thought would work for me and made notes.

Then my cards came and I wrote one action on each card for the series. I knew a little bit about each book, but not a lot about the first one at all.

And in total honesty, this is a project I started to write, years ago, but never actually finished a chapter on any of the stories, so my ideas about events was pretty vague. That was noticeable on the cards. Especially the lack of cards on story one.

I gave it a little more thought, shuffled cards around, added a few more. Somewhere during this process, I realized that the bad guy was driving so much of the trilogy, I should do cards for him. This was exceptionally helpful and I was able to add more cards.

Now I had four piles of index cards. Hmm. While they are three separate books, there is an over arc that goes across all of them. It would be helpful to have the cards intermingled. I only had white index cards (I'll blog about this on Tuesday), so I planned to use highlighters. Only then I had another thought. I have little hexagon stickers that I bought for my planner and never used. Maybe those would work.

They did. I had five colors and I used four of them. There were more things I wanted to color code than just which storyline/book the action belonged to. I clearly needed more sticker dots!