BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, December 08, 2020

Latest Writing Experiment

Anyone who's read this blog for a while knows that I tend to jump into things with both feet and full steam ahead. I don't know why I do this, but moderation isn't my forte.

This time my latest jump into the deep end foray is writing related.

I blogged back a ways about being backed up on podcasts. I finally listened to one where the guest was a novelist who had gotten into screenwriting. Most of the interviews wasn't particularly interesting, but I was listening while walking and didn't feel like digging out the phone to change to a different podcasts.

But there, about 20 minutes from the end, was an AHA moment for me. She was talking about writing a TV season and said anything they knew would happen went on on index card.

I'm not a plotter. Oh, I sort of plot in my own fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants way, but not like a real plotter who knows so much of what's going to happen beforehand. I've blogged many times in the past about how if I try to force my characters to do something they don't want to do, that they go on strike. And index cards?!? OMG! I read plotting books as a teenager and index cards scarred me for life.

But something made sense that never made sense to me before. Just write down a few words on a card for what you know is going to happen. That sounded intriguing to me. Don't ask me why, but I suddenly became obsessed with the idea of using index cards to figure out a storyline.

I'm in the middle of a book right now and didn't want to risk messing my head space up in case this was a total fail, so I pulled out an old project and started making notes. Not on index cards. I didn't have any. Yet. But I'd ordered some.

Tune in on Thursday for Part 2: The Index Cards Arrive