BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, February 25, 2021

Countries of the World

Earth

I was watching television recently and the show mentioned Nepal and Sardinia. It also mentioned some historic locations in both places. Interesting historic locations that I'd never heard of before.

It dawned on me then how little I know about other countries in the world. Even countries I'd visited. I mean, I knew about the places I'd seen, but what about the rest of the country? For example, Australia is huge. I saw a lot of their east coast, I made it into the outback to visit Alice Springs and Ayers Rock, but I never made it to the west coast.

This seemed like something I could fix. Even if there's no way to visit every location on the planet, I could certainly read up on them.

I started by learning more about Sardinia since it was one of the places that started me thinking. I'm not sure I can remember what I read even a week or so later, which kind of defeats the purpose.

But so many of the websites I pulled up were travel related. What to do while you're visiting. Hotels. Restaurants. Events. That wasn't what I was looking for.

Other websites offered dry facts. Population. Demographics. Income distribution. Currency used. Language(s) spoken. Again, not exactly what I was looking for. But maybe the type of experience I'm looking for doesn't exist? I want something that will give me the information and a feeling for the country and the people who live there.

I guess I'll keep doing some online searches.