BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, March 11, 2021

Review: Holidate


Over Christmas, I caught up on a lot of movies. Let me rephrase that--A lot of movies for me. I generally have a hard time watching movies because of plot holes, but I had a pretty good run in December. I'm going to talk about them off and on.

First up. Holidate.

This is on Netflix. I heard about it when I saw another author online complaining about how crude and crass and unwatchable the movie was because of this. But everything she complained about made Holidate sound intriguing. I had to watch it.

I loved it! Enough that I want to watch it again and I rarely do that.

Is it a perfect movie? No, it isn't. Is it fun? I thought so. Is there swearing? Hell, yes! :-)

Sloane (Emma Roberts) and Jackson (Luke Bracey) agree to be each other's holiday dates throughout the year. Sloane picked this up from her aunt who has a different boyfriend at every holiday. She doesn't even remember their names, that's how fungible they are for her. Sloane is on a path to becoming a lot like her aunt. Until she meets her Holidate. The more holidays Sloane and Jackson spend together, the more feelings develop between them.

It's a romantic comedy so I don't think I'm spoiling anything with the feelings part.

First, this isn't only a Christmas movie. They spend all the other holidays together, too, including St Patrick's Day, Independence Day, etc. So just because it's March, don't think you can't watch it now.

Second, it does have some crudeness, so if you're someone who doesn't like this kind of thing, I'd recommend avoiding it.

That said, I thought Sloane and Jackson were cute together and I thought the script kept them true to character throughout the movie. The actors playing these parts had real chemistry between them and I was rooting for them throughout the film.

I'm giving Holidate 4.5 stars and two thumbs up. Highly recommended, with caveats.