BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Challenge and Motivation

I'm trying to stay motivated until my gym reopens sometime in July, so I signed up for some online challenges. One of the companies--who I bought three challenges from--has yet to send a single one. Very unhappy with them. But I did find a company that delivers on its promises.

The Conqueror's Challenge has a variety of options, but of course I signed up for The Ring of Kerry challenge.

(BTW, I receive no compensation of any kind from this company and I bought my challenge at the price on the website.)

The idea is to walk, run, bike, swim, etc for the equivalent of 124 miles. There's an app to record your distance. I did try to use their automated check in with my FitBit, but it didn't work right and I needed to manually enter my totals.

Along the route, there are street views, which I looked at after every entry. It was fun to see what the different areas look like. And at various points along the ring, I received virtual post cards with information about a location. This I also liked. And they plant trees when you reach for every 20% of the route covered. You set your own time frame for covering the distance. I thought it would take a long while, but surprising, I covered the distance pretty quickly.

The picture is of the medal I received for finishing the Ring of Kerry. Each challenge has its own special medal and the one I received is hefty. And best of all, it arrived promptly. Unlike the first company who shall remain nameless. Grrr.

Anyway, I enjoyed it so much, that I enrolled in another challenge. Ring Road which is around Iceland instead of Ireland. This one will take a while. It's 828 miles long, but it'll be a fun time!