BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, June 24, 2021

Finding the Voice

I always get thrown off my stride when it's time to switch to writing a new book. Griff is with my editor as I write this, so he's not done, but while I wait, it's time to work on Kyle. I've actually been trying to start Kyle's book when it was with my editor for round one of revisions, but I ended up deleting everything I wrote then.

This time, I have the right kick off, but I lost Kyle's personality. I think I might have blogged about how he was a blank for me until he worked with Griff in Wicked Salvation.

I had him while I was writing scenes with him in Griff's book, but it's been a while since I wrote his scenes. Or at least scenes where he had the space to show his personality.

So at the moment, I'm rereading the parts of Griff's book where Kyle is being Kyle, trying to get his voice back in my head. I'm having limited success, but this happens on every transition between books. It always has. That's why the beginning of a book takes so long for me to write. I need the characters' voices to be them.

But I've got my opening. I'm torturing Kyle. So far so good.