BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, October 21, 2021

Deer Me

There are a number of reasons why I'd rather work from home than in the office, but the biggest reason is the driving. I hate driving here. It spikes my anxiety into outer space.

I have to contend with people driving crazy-fast and tailgating me at high speed. I'm surrounding by fifty bazillion semi trucks most mornings. It's stressful and miserable and I'm shaking by the time I park my car.

And last week, I had an extra bonus stress event.

I'm driving on the highway, doing about 60 mph. The speed limit is 55, BTW. There isn't a lot of traffic at this time of day in this area, but that doesn't mean it's a relaxing drive. My story will explain why.

There was a little more traffic on the road with me this morning than usual. I had just passed a car who was holding down the left-hand lane (I was in the right and had been there since I got on the highway) and had another car behind me. Fortunately, he wasn't right on my bumper, but I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.

Because I'd just gone past this other car, I didn't have my bright headlights on. Georgia apparently doesn't believe in putting in lights on their highways or freeways and it is very dark on the roads, especially where I was driving. Suddenly, my regular headlights pick it up.

A deer is just standing in my lane of the highway.

I slam on my brakes. I can't swerve because there's a car to my left and I'd read somewhere recently that drivers shouldn't swerve to avoid animals. Something about it being dangerous for some reason or another. But it didn't matter, there was a car there.

I can see the deer getting closer and closer to the front end of my car.

My foot has that brake pedal to the floor.

I'm inches from the damn deer when the idiot thing finally realizes that maybe it should move. And it ran toward the right, into the grass there.

If he hadn't run, I'm sure I would have hit him.

Yes, this is why there isn't one minute of my commute that is stress-free. Because from the time I leave my house until I reach the city where I get on the freeway, I have to keep my eyes peeled for idiot deer who stand in the middle of the damn road.

When the deer threat ends, the semis and idiot driver threat begins.

I'm just grateful that I didn't hit it and have to deal with that damage to the car and maybe to me.