BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Lost in the System

Over the years I've been blogging, I've talked about jumping around from system to system, trying to find the optimal way to keep all my information for a book and/or series in as few places as possible. I've yet to find the perfect system, but I do like the one I have now. Mostly.

I use OneNote and Excel to keep track of everything.

I like OneNote because I can save web pages, images, text--anything I need. I use Excel to primarily keep track of characters and settings. It's not one program to hold everything, but it's close and it's working.

But my earlier experimentation led to some fun recently. I needed to find some information from a story I wrote in the Blood Feud World.

I started with my computer files. That's where I was keeping pictures. Nothing. Not a single image.

Next I went to OneNote, but I found what I expected there. Nothing. Because I'd written this story long enough ago that I was probably not using OneNote the way I use it now.

Where else could it be?

I decided to check Scrivener. When I was writing only on my MacBook, I used this program pretty much all the time. Since I have the Windows version and I needed to transfer the information into Windows anyway, I tried to open the file there. It took some conversion, but I got it open.

And I found what I needed. But it wasn't a matter of copying and pasting the pictures I needed. That would be too easy. I don't know if it's a Scrivener thing or a conversion thing, but I had to make a copy of the photos inside Scrivener and then I could copy the copy and paste it in. Major pain.

An example of having to recall and hunt down a previous system I used. The scary thing is that I don't remember everything I've tried and I know I didn't blog about all of them.