BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, October 05, 2021

One Letter

Last week, I blogged about character names and an author asking if she can reuse names. I mentioned that the question surprised me because I don't get to name my own characters, but I forgot to mention I'm kind of dealing with a similar issue right now.

You see, I have two heroes who have told me their name is Zach/Zack. One spelled with an h and the other spelled with a k.

Since Zach with an h is already started, I tried to convince the other Zack that his name wasn't going to work and he should pick something else. I even offered a few suggestions. He declined.

And because I've written two chapters of Zach's book, it's too late to change his name.

Since they're spelled differently, an argument could be made that they're not the exact same name, but they're pronounced identically. And if I were to have a conversation with someone and talk about Zach/k, they wouldn't be sure which one I meant unless I gave them additional information.

On the plus side, Zack with a k is far enough back in the queue that I have time to work on him. His story would be number three in a second set of four Paladin League books. I'm still writing number four in the first set of four. (No, Zach with an h isn't in this story.)

I'm not going to spend too much time worrying about it yet, but my characters can be pretty stubborn--especially about their names.