BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, December 02, 2021

Thinking About the Musketeers

I was thinking about my musketeers the other day (AKA: Ryder, Finn, JT, and Kyle) and about their family backgrounds.

Yes, the mind of a writer is strange, but there was a good reason for the subject.

If you read Wicked Salvation, you saw that Kyle goes through life with a smirk on his face and enjoys stirring the pot for fun. You also know that he spent time in a Catholic boys' boarding school in Rio Blanco, Puerto Jardin.

Kyle is good at hiding things from me and I'm trying to come up with how he felt about his mother dying and his father leaving him at boarding school while he worked as an engineer in South America. He hasn't been forthcoming which leads me to believe there's some issue buried here.

And so this got me thinking about Ryder, who comes from a loving family. Finn who grew up in foster care. JT who was raised by his widowed mother who didn't remarry until Griff was in high school. These guys have different backgrounds, but they've become more than brothers. As Griff would say, they are the four musketeers. :-)

BTW, the musketeers thing was not planned. It was Griff who through that into the mix while I was writing Ryder's book. When I wrote it in Wicked Obsession, it felt like a throwaway line. It wasn't. It became the bedrock of the friendship between these men.