BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, December 07, 2021

New App Discovery

I was scrolling through Facebook when I saw a link to a website that let you listen to radio stations around the world. Any of them. It didn't matter if they were in the US, Canada, France, Japan, Peru, or New Zealand.

Of course, I headed over to check it out because is there anything more intriguing than media from other countries? Although, I did start by scrolling up to Minnesota--my former home--and checking in on some local stations first.

Then I went international.

I started with Canada, started scrolling toward Europe before quickly reversing and heading for Australia.

And I found my new favorite radio station. :-)

First, let me say that I don't like my radio options in Atlanta. There's one station that's okay, but it's way outside of the city and I lose it pretty quickly. Also too much time spent talking or doing ads.

Second, this radio station website has an app. It's called Radio Garden. So now I have a radio on my iPhone. (Sorry, I didn't save the link to the website, but if you want to check it out, I'm sure you can find it by searching online for Radio Garden.)

Third, the screen in my car went blank, so I don't even have a radio in my car right now. Also, while I'm working, I can listen at my desk. In a building where a radio signal would have a hard time penetrating.

And yes, I can stream because of Amazon Prime, but then I have to make decisions. Tuning into a radio station means someone else is choosing and I'm okay with that. If I want to listen to a particular song, then I can go to a streaming app, but for casual listening, this is perfect for me.

So what radio station did I find?

It's in Sydney, Australia and it's called iHeart Radio Australia - The 80s. Yes, all 80s music all the time, and unlike the 80s station we used to have in Minneapolis once upon a time, this station doesn't play the same 100 songs over and over. So far, I've only heard 2 songs more than once and they've played music I don't remember, so not stuff that got heavy airplay.

Even better? The station has no commercials! 

Yes! Commercial free, all 80s, all the time. Does it get any better than this?

The app is free. There are pop up ads, but they're visual and don't interrupt the music, so I can live with them.

I received no compensation of any kind for this blog post. I just love having music from around the world available to me and thought I'd share. Also 80s without commercials. :-)