BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, January 27, 2022

Adventures With FedEx...Again

At the end of December--Wednesday, Dec 29th, to be exact--FedEx dropped a package in my yard and drove off. This is their usual modus operandi. The difference this time is this was not my package.

The package belonged to a neighbor that we don't know and it was a heavy box, one beyond my capabilities to lift into the car and drive over.

Rain was threatening, so my dad rolled it to our front porch so it would be protected and I called FedEx to come and get it. The woman was pleasant and friendly and promised they'd come get it.

Two days later, on New Year's Eve, the package is still on my front porch. My office faces the street and I saw a FedEx Ground truck stop at a neighbor's house kitty corner from mine and I expected him to turn toward my house to come get this box, but no. He turned the other direction and left.

This time, my dad called FedEx. He went through three people and finally the third person promised that someone would be over that day to retrieve the package.

New Year's Day? Package is still sitting on my front porch.

I go to FedEx help on Twitter. Someone apologizes for the problem. Asks for my address and phone...and then doesn't respond. After waiting more than an hour to hear something, I ask if they're sending someone out to get the box. The reply? It's New Year's Day, no one is working. Well, no duh, I knew that. I meant were they ever going to send someone out? You know, seriously, I expected some kind of response, not just radio silence.

On Jan 2nd, I see the FedEx truck go by my house. Twice. One going into the neighborhood and one coming out. He doesn't stop.

Jan 3rd. Package remains on front porch. The sender was Chewy, so I contacted them and asked if they could get FedEx to pick it up. They told me I could just donate the item to a shelter, which was lovely of them, but I told the person that if I could lift the box into the car, I would have taken it to the person's house who should have received it. They put in a request to have FedEx pick it up on Jan 4th.

Jan 4th. FedEx truck drives past the house again. Doesn't stop. Package remains on porch. That evening I decide that I'm done calling. If no one picks it up by Friday, I'm going to donate it the way Chewy suggested and I'll figure out some way to get it in the car.

Jan 5th. One week from the day the box was delivered in error. Today, FedEx finally arrived and picked up the box. It's finally off my porch!

I don't actually know what the heck is going on at FedEx, but they are a hot mess and are honestly doing the worst job of any company that delivers. Even the post office is outperforming them by light years. I'm glad this ordeal is finally over with!