BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, January 20, 2022

Characters, Personalities and Secrets

I guess it's time to talk about writing a little, huh? I know it's been a little while.

I'm still working on Wicked Deception, Kyle and Mari's story, and it's been a struggle on several fronts. Kyle, my pot stirrer from Griff's book, isn't acting like this at all in his book.

This has me scratching my head and trying to figure out why. The best guess I have is it's because he's surrounded by nuns and he has a lot of respect for them. But this is a guess because he's not answering me when I ask him.

Normally when this happens, I talk to a friend of the character and get the scoop, but do you think any of his friends will share even a hint with me? Of course not because they're all trained to keep secrets. Grr.

Then there's Marianna who is also determined not to share anything with me. Now her best friend, Zo from Wicked Intention, will talk, but the problem I have here is that Zo hasn't seen Mari in nearly three years and Mari has changed. A lot. The woman Zo is telling me about is not the woman in the book.

So I'm just writing at this point, hoping the characters will reveal what's going on. I'm getting little hints, but not much more than that.

In all honesty, these are not the first characters to do this to me, so while I don't like it, it's not a novelty. When I was writing Ravyn's Flight, Damon kept a great big secret from me and dropped it like a bomb shortly before he shared it with his heroine. This meant there was like zero foreshadowing and this was something I had to go back and add as I revised the story. Did I mention this was probably at the halfway point? Maybe even a little deeper in the book?

There's a reason I talk about torturing the characters because they torture me. Every book has a couple that does something to make my life miserable while I'm trying to write them. This is just the latest example. I'll get to the end with this pair, too. Even if it kills all of us. :-)