BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Adventures With Time

Last week ended up being a strange one for me and clocks/alarms.

It started on Tuesday.

I have a timer on my coffee maker so I wake up to hot coffee in the morning. The only minus is that I have to keep changing the timer depending on what day of the week it is. I wish it had dual or even multi timers so that I didn't have to futz with it all the time.

And this is why I wok up on Tuesday to no hot coffee. I forgot to futz with the timer.

No big deal. I manually started it and went to start getting ready for work while it brewed. And that was that. Or so I thought.

It stormed on Tuesday. Thunder, lightning, rain. And when I got home, my dad tells me the power is out. Clearly, it wasn't out because I opened the garage door. I took a look at the circuit breakers and every single one is popped except for the garage.

I reset everything and now the clocks are flashing. Including on the coffee maker.

I'm careful as I set the timer. I do not want to wake up on Wednesday and not have any coffee. Two days in a row would be brutal.

And I woke up on Wednesday and reached for the handle of the pot before I realized that the coffee hadn't brewed again. While I'd carefully double checked the timer to ensure it was on AM and not PM, I wasn't as careful setting the clock on the coffee maker. That happily proclaimed it was evening. Got it set correctly and everything will be fine on Thursday.

Thursday was a work from home day because I had an eye exam scheduled. This means I get an extra two hours of blessed sleep.

So Thursday morning, my alarm goes off. I feel groggy as hell, but I get up, make my bed, and head for the bathroom. That's when I finally see the clock. It's 3:30 AM, not 5:30. Yes, that's right. I forgot to tell my iPhone that I didn't have to get up at a ridiculous hour of the morning. I went back to bed, but then I had to use the regular alarm and that noise is obnoxious.

Three times in three days there was an issue with the timer/alarm.

I'm writing this on Saturday. Daylight Saving Time starts tomorrow. I'm scared to touch any of the clocks.