BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, March 03, 2022

Real Estate Shopping as Recreation

I got hooked on checking a real estate app when I was house hunting. I'm embarrassed to say how long ago that was, so I won't, but it's kind of fun to see what's available and look at the pictures.

But so many times I'll look at a house and be like, seriously? You're going to leave that dark red paint on the walls? Do you know how many coats of primer and paint it'll take to cover that? I'd 100% take off the cost of having it painted off the asking price.

And I'm not looking for a house. This is just recreational!

But really? Dark paint is a pain to cover up and red is the worst. Before I sold my house in Minnesota, I had a painter come in and make the walls neutral. Neutral sells better--or so I've heard.

The other day, I was looking through the app and I saw a townhouse asking $1.1 million. Of course, I had to look at the pictures for this listing. BTW, the townhouse has an elevator. (It's three stories.)  I was mostly impressed with the finishes, but then I hit the kitchen. I'm like, you're asking a million one and you have granite counters? At least go with quartz.

Saturday I was breezing through the listings and I saw a house that was over a hundred years old. I stopped to look at that one, too, although I'd never want anything that old or traditional. The kitchen had black granite counters. Ugh. Otherwise, though, it was nicely redone. But even if I was in the market for a house, I don't want one that old.

I also house hunt for my characters. I have pictures and sometimes floor plans for every character's home that makes a book. For example, Zo's home in Wicked Intention is cobbled together from a variety of listings in Los Angeles and Palm Springs, so it's totally work related. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.