BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, April 26, 2022

The First Sweater (Maybe)

One of my favorite knitting designers created a sweater pattern geared toward knitters who've never made a sweater before. This would be me. I've started one, but ran into trouble and gave up. I started a second one for a knit along and got the neckband done before I gave up.

I wanted to try it, but the yarn weight isn't one I own much of. (yarn comes in different thicknesses from something close to thread all the way to super bulky/chunky). This pattern called for a weight called DK and while I had a few skeins here and there, I didn't have enough of one color to even come close to making a sweater.

I browsed some yarn stores, trying to find something inexpensive that also had colors that I liked, but didn't find anything that didn't (at minimum!) make it a $150 sweater. Way more than I was prepared to spend. Way more.

Then I found some yarn in the right weight on close out online! And OMG, one of the brands had all kinds of colors I loved!

I ended up buying enough yarn to make three sweaters because I didn't have any DK stash and this seemed like such a good opportunity to fix this error. Factor in taxes and shipping because close out yarn doesn't qualify for free shipping and ouch!

But I got a bright pink shade, purple, and orange and will try (again) to complete my first sweater. Third time is the charm, right?