BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Friend Groups

 

I don't know how I got started thinking about this--as an overthinker, my head goes a million different directions all the time--but I was contemplating friend groups in relation to my musketeers.

Ryder (Wicked Obsession) is the peacemaker of the group. When Finn and JT are squaring off in Wicked Intention, it's Ryder who tries to smooth things over. He did this at the end of his own book, too.

JT AKA Griff (Wicked Salvation) is the mother hen, the one who worries about his friends. The reason he squares off with Finn is because he's worried about him and the chances Finn's taking since he met Zo.

Kyle (Wicked Deception) is the...well, I was going to say smart ass, but he's not exactly that. He's the one who pokes at his friends' buttons for amusement purposes. If they're on their game, they ignore him and don't let him know it worked. When they're less on top of things, they react. Griff was not on his game when he met his heroine and Kyle had a good time in that book.

And Finn (Wicked Intention). I had to think about this for a longer time because I wasn't sure what role he had in the group, but I think I have it. He's the glue. He's the one who makes sure everyone keeps in contact. He's the steadiest one of a group of steady guys. If one of them needs to get rock-solid advice, Finn is the one they'd talk to. Of course, Finn does not merely say what someone wants to hear, he speaks the truth, and sometimes that's not what someone wants to hear.

I also spent some time mulling Mako who was the original fourth musketeer and what his role with the group was, but I didn't come up with an answer for him. Yet.

I never spelled it out in the series, but Kyle was Mako's replacement on the team. That's why in Wicked Intention he's the newest team member in the flashback scenes. It's why when Finn checks in at the bar, he, Griff, and Ryder refer to themselves as the three musketeers. Kyle was working his way to good friend/musketeer status with the other guys. And then, two years later when the current day action takes place in Wicked Intention, he's a musketeer.

I'm thinking through the next series arc now, trying to figure out the relationships. I know who my heroes are. I know who their heroines are. Now it's a matter of figuring out how to weave it all together.