BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, September 15, 2022

New Podcast Recommendation

 

I found another new podcast!

Not that I was looking for one. I have plenty right now, so many, that I'm only downloading episodes from my favorites and letting the others sit. And sometimes I just delete some of those podcast episodes without listening to them. But I digress.

This one is called One Hit Thunder and it looks at songs labeled as one hit wonders.

I've only listened to two episodes so far, but they were one-hit-wonder songs from two of my favorite groups: The Boomtown Rats and Devo.

I knew they both only hit once, but I have their albums and CDs and love so many of their songs that sometimes I forget that most people can't sing along with Windchill Factor (Minus Zero) or Diamond Smiles. (Both are by the Boomtown Rats.) It also kind of amazed me that the two hosts were surprised by the origins of the song they were discussing--I Don't Like Mondays. It was such a huge controversy, that I figured it was common knowledge to music listeners.

Devo has a lot of albums with a lot of great music! Their song, Girl U Want is the theme song for Ravyn's Flight.

I have a few more episodes on my phone I still need to listen to, and when I'm done with those, I'll queue up some more. I think, though, that this is one of those shows where I'm only going to listen to the episodes that interest me and not every one of them. There are songs they looked at that I've never heard of and I don't have much interest in those.

They also have an interesting choice for one episode--Rick Springfield's Jessie's Girl, which isn't anywhere close to being a one-hit-wonder. Just because most people only remember one of his songs doesn't mean there weren't others. I remember singing along with I've Done Everything For You with some heartfelt oomph in my more dramatic teen years.

Despite a few nitpicks, I really enjoyed the two episodes I listened to and would give a recommendation to anyone interested in music.