BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, September 06, 2022

I'd Like to Make That

It's time for the latest edition of I can make that! This post features no actual attempt at making something, so I'm not putting the "Adventure" tag on this post.

There is a maker who creates some pretty awesome knitting project bags. I received a newsletter from her recently and there was this large bag, perfect for knitting a blanket or a sweater. Something that requires yarn and space to put it when not in work.

I'm all excited until I see the price. Almost a hundred dollars for a project bag. Ugh!

In my head, I'm guesstimating cost of fabric, thread, etc and I know it's nowhere near that price for supplies. As for the labor, well, I might not be a perfect sewer, but I'm good enough. I can totally make this and it will cost a hell of a lot less than $100. I think part of the price for this person is she has an actual physical storefront and real estate costs money. I love the bag, but not the price.

I began my hunt for the pattern. Or at least a pattern close enough to call it good. This is where I ran into issues. There are very few pictures of this bag available online. Even the person's website only has one picture and it's with the bag flat. I persevered anyway.

And failed. I couldn't find anything close to it on Etsy. I'm guessing she must have created her own bag pattern? Either that, or it's from someone not selling on that site.

I did, however, find a lot of other patterns for really cute bags. I ended up favoriting a lot of them.

An online search turned up even more cute bag patterns. This was not a rabbit hole I wanted to fall down because I have clothing patterns I want to sew.