BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Review: You Cast a Spell On Me

***Warning: There might be spoilers ahead***

You Cast a Spell On Me has a release date of 2015, so I'm going to assume that if you wanted to see it without worrying about spoilers, you would have.

You Cast a Spell On Me stars Nikki Deloach, Ryan McPartlin, and Harley Jane Kozak and it's a paranormal romance. Light paranormal romance. I don't know if it's available anywhere else, but I streamed it with Amazon Prime.

The description of the movie doesn't make it clear that it's paranormal romance. I had some confusion in the beginning of the movie who had powers and who didn't, but it sorted itself out and didn't impact my enjoyment.

Basically, the hero is a witch (he calls himself a warlock, but only dark magic users refer to themselves that way and he's not that) and the heroine is mortal. She's dragged to a Halloween party by her friend and meets the hero. They spend all night talking out on the patio, but nothing more. She's got a boyfriend who's working in Geneva and he's been forced into an arranged marriage with another witch.

Somehow, the heroine starts exhibiting magical abilities afterward and she doesn't know how to control them. There is some very light humor here, but it's not played for laughs.

The movie was cute. I know that's what I said about the last movie I reviewed, but that word fits this one, too. I guess I'm in the mood for those frothy Christmas films, but not quite ready for the ones actually set around Christmas.

I found the relationship between the hero and heroine relied a whole lot on fated mates and didn't provide much depth. In fact, they're apart for most of the movie. This isn't my favorite thing, but it was cute enough to keep watching and both hero and heroine were engaging enough to make those scenes enjoyable.

Of course, we get our HEA. I won't spoil how that comes about.

Is this the best movie ever? Definitely not. Is it an enjoyable enough way to spend an hour and a half? Yes. If you're looking for a holiday movie that's light and fluffy, but not Christmasy, this is a good option.