BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, November 01, 2022

When It Rains

Months ago, I'd noticed a piece of drywall tape (or something?) hanging from the corner of one of my coffers on the ceiling of the family room. I didn't know why that happened, but I assumed it was a poor job of sheet rocking and that all it needed was a quick fix. And a contractor who would actually show up.

It's been dry in Atlanta. We haven't had rain in forever. And then a storm rolled through. It poured for a really long time.

And when I walked past the family room, I noticed something on the couch. In the center of a wet spot.

I was like, WTH? I go over to check it out and yes, it's wet. That thing in the middle of the spot is the sheet rock/mud/tape from the coffer. I look up. Yes, water is there. I have a leak in the roof. I couldn't believe it.

There's a bonus room upstairs, so I go up there and look around, trying to find out how the water is coming in from up there and going through the floor to the great room ceiling, only there is no water up there. Not anywhere I can see. But there is unseen attic area. It's pretty much inaccessible except for a panel that you need to use a tool to remove.

The roofer came out a few days later to look at it. Luckily, we were back to being dry again so no more water came in. It turns out that some nails came up and exposed the paper under the shingles (or something like this) and that's why the water was coming in.

The good news is that the spot in the roof is not over the upstairs at all--that's why I didn't see any damage. It's only over the level of the house that had the rain coming in.

The bad news? Can we say eek on the repair cost?

So roof repair and then sheet rock on the ceiling repair. Sigh.