BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, November 03, 2022

It Pours

I blogged on Tuesday about the roof. It was repaired, everything was good, and then Friday happened.

I lost my keys and key fob in the parking deck at work.

Queue sobbing.

You see, I have a routine. I go to the passenger side of my car, put in my laptop and tote bag, and because I'm paranoid about locking myself out of my car, I take my keys/key fob out of the bag and put them in my pocket. Then, once I'm inside the car, I put them back in my tote bag.

I don't know what happened on Friday. The keys were in my tote bag--the car wouldn't have opened without them--and I took them out and put them in my pocket like always. I could have sworn I took them out of my pocket and put them in the tote bag again.

Only when I get home and go to get my keys out to unlock the house, they're not in the pocket of my tote. This isn't the first time I've missed the pocket and they wind up on the bottom of my bag. Not this time.

I searched the car and then I realized if I'd dropped them in the car, it would start if I pressed the button. Instead, I get the message: No Key Detected. This was not what I wanted to see. I did another search of my tote bag, taking absolutely everything out. I searched my jacket even though those keys are sort of heavy.

Nothing.

So I called the lobby at work, hoping someone had found them and turned them in. No such luck. They said to call back around 5:30, they'd have security look for them. When I called back, no luck.

The surprising thing is how calm I was through all of this. I was like, well, we'll go get keys made on Saturday, I'll wait and see if someone turns in the keys the next week, and if not, I'll order another key fob from Ford. In the meantime, I have my extra fob and it worked fine, so it would be okay.

My dad, however, was seriously stressing about it and couldn't stop thinking about it. He decided to search my tote bag again. He calls out, "I found the keys!"

I'm thinking he's probably found the extra fob that I put in my tote bag, not my actual keys. But I went to look. And guess what? HE FOUND MY KEYS!

They'd fallen into the front pocket of the tote bag. I don't know how that could have possibly happened. I use one of those LL Bean totes and that front pocket is pretty tight to the bag. But somehow it managed to happen. It still has me confused, but who am I to question a minor miracle?