BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, March 23, 2023

Crazy Computer Day

It all started so innocently.

It was a Sunday night. I was winding down for the day and planning to head to bed in a couple of hours. I was scrolling through Facebook on my phone and saw something about my password manager and how there had been a breach and users should move to a different one.

No problem, I thought. My anti-virus program comes with a free password manager. I'll move over there.

But my browser wouldn't show the icon for the extension even though it said it had installed it and the program kept showing a popup, insisting it was not installed.

I'd noticed a few other extensions I'd added recently also didn't have icons. I did some online searches to troubleshoot and nothing worked for me.

I kept trying. I found more instructions. This wiped out all my extension icons including the ones that had been present and working for me. Trying to uninstall and reinstall the extensions did nothing.

Frustrated, I gave up on the anti-virus password manager and tried 1Password. It insisted that I didn't have some Java thing installed and refused to move forward. I did some online searches on that and I did have it installed. 1Password insisted otherwise.

I went back to the anti-virus password manager briefly, but the same issue remained. I tried a third password manager. This one worked.

My browser, though, is still an issue. All my extension icons are gone and I rely on them. I can't figure out how to fix this and it's getting later and later and my alarm clock goes off early.

I'd heard about a browser recently that was recommended for privacy. Might as well try that, I thought. I loaded all my favorite extensions on there and I have icons and it works as expected. It would almost be good except it has a couple little quirks that are making me crazy. No bookmarks menu, which means to access favorite websites, I need to click into the settings and maneuver from there. Also, there is no way to pin websites to the new tab when you open one.

My solution? I'm using both browsers. Sigh.