BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, March 07, 2023

Story Inspiration: Frankie Lewis

Last week, I mentioned that Deck wasn't supposed to be more than a secondary character, but he wanted his own story.

Francesca "Frankie" Lewis arrived with her name first. I think it's because I knew Deck was going to need a heroine and things were turning without me being consciously aware of it. Basically, one day, I thought, I wonder who Deck's heroine is? And I hear Frankie.

I knew immediately that she was redheaded/auburn-haired and that she worked for The Paladin League, but wasn't an archaeologist.

That stumped me for a while.

At first, I thought maybe she was some kind of art expert, but that never felt right. I found out why when the series expanded from three books to four and the new addition was the art expert. Cool, but that still left me wondering what Frankie did for the Paladin League.

My dilemma lasted until I was talking with a couple of friends--one whom happens to be a librarian--and she suggested archivist.

Bells rang. Well, figuratively at least. That's exactly what Frankie did. She was an archivist/researcher with a second masters degree in history. Just the person Archer would assign to Puerto Jardin to comb through private papers and ancient books to look for clues.

Now I needed a story.