BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, March 02, 2023

Story Inspiration: Decker Nguyen

I was searching for a blog topic. I don't really like to talk about the stories I'm writing for a number of reasons, including inadvertent spoilers. After a long while rejecting topics and hoping for an epiphany, I asked my friends. Most of the ideas didn't work for me--for an example, I do not have a music playlist while I write--but I thought I could talk about one of the thoughts.

Inspiration for my latest characters and/or plot.

First, I will say that Deck was not meant to be anything except a secondary character. The Paladin League was going to be four stories and that was it. However, the team couldn't get the head of the arms dealing empire in four books and then there was Deck who became more and more intriguing with every appearance he made.

As I was writing Wicked Obsession, which is connected to my friend Trish McCallan's Future Under Fire, she asked for the name of Ryder's commanding officer. Um, yeah, I'd given that zero thought. So I hurried up and threw out a last name. Captain Nguyen.

I'm not sure if Deck had a first name in Finn's book although his role increased and he made multiple appearances in Wicked Intention. His screen time increased more dramatically by the time I was working on Griff's book and he had a major role in Wicked Salvation. Now I was getting information on Deck and becoming more intrigued. It wasn't until after I'd finished Salvation and was doing research for Wicked Deception that I realized the series wasn't done yet.

Before I finished Deception, I knew he'd ghosted the woman he'd been in love with. That he hadn't realized how he felt about her until it was too late to go back and grovel. It wasn't until I was ready to start writing his book that Deck shared some of his background.

Wicked Persuasion is available for preorder at Amazon.