BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Story Inspiration: The Present

So I have a hero. I have a heroine. I have their backstory. What about the current day story?

I actually had part of that before I started thinking about Deck and his book. I was researching artifacts, trying to find something for Wicked Deception, and I stumbled across a missing treasure with an awesome history attached to it.

I planned to use one of the pieces from the treasure in Kyle's book, but as I was writing, it never fit. I ended up going with a brooch instead, but the Reverend Mother only knew that it was old and that Kyle found it. She didn't have the history. It comes into play in Deck's book. This brooch? It's from the lost treasure and now everyone knows it has surfaced.

Archer at the Paladin League has sent down a team to find and recover the Lost Treasure of Trujillo. Frankie, the heroine, is on this team. The fact that people have been hunting for the treasure for centuries created a bunch more of the plot.

Frankie being an archivist/researcher/historian contributed to the plot, too. Her job brought Deck into the equation and there was a story! I love it when a plan comes together.