BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, May 25, 2023

Sketch It Out

I have no artistic ability...much to my disappointment. I also hear words, but am not visual. Which means when I'm writing, I look for a lot of pictures online to use for inspiration. I'm not sure at the beginning what a character looks like, but when I find their image, I know it.

However, sometimes there is no image. That's when I pick up a pen and try to make a sketch. I know it's going to be bad, but I don't need an exact rendering. I need an estimation.

The Post-it note in the image is my attempt to sketch out the market in Trujillo, Puerto Jardin. (The Paladin League series)

Shape is wrong. Orientation was wrong and I drew over the top to realign it. I didn't put the streets in that run alongside the market, but I knew they were there.

When I had the ugly, horrible, rough sketch in the condition you see in the picture, I put it in the Paladin League Notebook (I'm on number 2) and started writing.

As terrible as I am at anything drawing/sketching related, this was what I needed to write. I'll take it.