BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, June 29, 2023

Trash Day Adventure

For once, this story isn't about my trash!

It stormed on trash day. I mean like really, really, really stormed. There was wind. There was pouring rain. There was water flowing down the street like a river.

We put our trash can on the boulevard, so ours stayed put. A neighbor up the street wasn't as lucky. As I'm sitting at my desk, working, I catch motion from the corner of my eye and look over. There's a garbage can rolling down the street.

Part of it was the wind propelling it, but mostly (I think) it was the water and the fact the cans are on wheels. It was moving at a fast clip, too.

It made it to the storm sewer between my house and our neighbor to the east. The water turned to go down and took the can into the curb. And there it sat.

When there was a break in the weather, we hurried up and brought our can and recycle box into the garage so we wouldn't have to worry about them blowing away. It's a good thing we did, because moments later, the storm started up again and a neighbor on the cross street had their can blown over and pushed toward the corner.

As I'm writing this, it's the evening of the next day after the storm. The second can that was blown over was picked up yesterday and put away immediately upon that person realizing it was their can. However, the can that was pushed toward the storm sewer between my house and the one next door is still sitting there.

More than 24 hours later, it is still sitting there!

I'm like, do they not think, wow, my can is missing and there's a can down the street. I bet that's mine? I mean, I would do that and then I would go get it.

I'm going to try to keep watch and record how long it takes to be retrieved.

ETA: It took 2 days for the neighbors to get their can