BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Desk Chair Blues

In 2019, my office chair (at home) was unbearably uncomfortable. It had been for a while, but I'd reached my limit. I decided I'd invest in a new chair. The one I had then was an extremely expensive office chair that I'd bought at a used office furniture company and I thought I could do better than that.

I decided I'd pick up a gaming chair this time. After all, gamers played for hours and hours at a time. Surely they would have the most comfortable chairs of all. I began my research and bought a chair.

It came with a footrest, which I thought would be cool. I could kick back and write with the keyboard on my lap. I never used it.

The chair was okay. I never love loved it. But it was more comfortable than my old desk chair.

Then I developed that sinking feeling. I'm trying to be funny. What I mean is the chair cylinder wouldn't stay at the right height. I linked to the blog post with that saga The fake leather arms are cracking and I hate that feel against my arms. And generally this chair is becoming more and more uncomfortable.

I found a video on YouTube by some guy who says he sells chairs. He compared gaming chairs to ergonomic desk chairs and explained why the ergonomic desk chair is better in almost every circumstance. I wish I'd seen his video before I bought the chair I'm sitting in right now, but that's water under the bridge at this point.

My new ergonomic desk chair at work is awesome. I priced that out and no. I looked at a some other models. Still no. I tried to find another used office furniture place around before I had an epiphany.

What if I try to replace the cushioning in my former used office furniture desk chair?

That was the problem with it. The chair had been hugely comfortable in the beginning--until the padding got too thin. Surely the padding can be replaced.

I found videos. I ordered foam. I am going to try desk chair cushion replacement. After I upload Wicked Persuasion. There will be blog posts.